Thursday 1 March 2012

Monthly movies for Feb, by ash

Ok, here are the movies which I saw in February. I ended up seeing Martha Marcy May, Chronicles, The Artist, Any Question for Ben and Travelling Light. You might have notice (or maybe not) that the last one mention, Travelling Light, is not a movie, it is a theatre play, but I did see it on the movie screen at Cinema Nova. The Nova screen's the National Theatre Live productions. I would say if you have not gone to one of these productions before, they are a must, they cater for all kinds, from comedies to Shakespeare and more, and but instead of paying ticket prices as per going to the theatre, you pay the price of a normal movie ticket. It is a great innovation which is catching on worldwide, and its at a classic cinema in Carlton, the Cinema Nova. It allows a lot more people to see more plays because of how cheap it is and it also is a good way of seeing plays which might not even come to Australia.

Martha Marcy May Marlene: The type of movie which lets your imagination do the thinking, very Hitchcock style, which I do enjoy. You come out of the cinema with a lot to think about. All the characters were well cast and played. It had some creepy scenes in it, and you were never told the full background story, you were only shown and told what was needed. So, from that perspective, I felt like I was seeing it from Martha's sister and brother-in-law view (with of course more knowledge of what was going on to what they knew), and could feel for them. They wanted to help Martha, yet they had no idea where she had been and what she had gone through. The movie really played with your mind and could be slightly disturbing for some, but if you want to see a great thriller, then this is for you. For me it was 4/5.

Chronicle
: Judging from the previews I was expecting another Cloverfield style of movie, which at the time I was looking forward to, but it let me down. So, I was not expecting much from Chronicle. I saw this one with my wife and our friends son who is eleven. I was surprised with the character types and how well they where used in the movie, in that we were able to have an in depth discussion with our friends son about the characters. Why it was right or wrong for what they did in the movie, and why they did what they did. If it is still out at the movies, go and see it. I gave it 4/5.

The Artist: Talk about taking it back to where it started. Nothing complicated about this script, seeing that it is a silent movie. Great cinema photography and music. This movie takes you back to the 1920's era of what a movie would have been like, with some modern input. It had very complex visuals, and well worth seeing, 4/5.

Any Questions For Ben
: Probably lots of people will say this, but after seeing the movie, I have loads of questions for Ben. Done by the great Working Dog productions. This is lacking the 'vibe' of what The Castle and The Dish had, and these are two classic Australian films, done by Working Dog. Did have a lot of funny moments, but the story was not syncing for me. I would wait for it to be on DVD, because there are a lot more quality movies showing now, which are more worthy of big screen viewing. 3/5.

Travelling Light: It went for around 3 hours, but I found that it kept me interested enough in the story that it seem to fly by. I would say if you have not seen a National Theatre live production yet, then this would be a good one to start with, the characters were well played out, and the set was well designed and perfect for the play. I give this a rating of 3.5/5.

I would recommend going to Hell Is For Hyphenates, if you want to listen and read from some real film critics. They have great knowledge of everything to do with films, and their latest podcast for February is now available.

No comments:

Post a Comment