Monday 31 December 2012

Ashley's Movies for 2012:

I cannot believe the amount of movies I was able to see in 2012. I gave myself a target for 2012 and that was to see as many movies as I could, and do a blog and score on them. At the end of the year I wanted to post my movies, ranking them from best to worst. And so here it is.

I wanted to keep the rules easy and simple, which mainly was to score them and rank them as I go, so it wouldn't be a messy affair at the end of the year. (Lauren is living through the pain of ordering films as I write) I think the hardest part was during MIFF when I saw over 30 movies in just a 2 week period. During this period I feel like I might of made some rushed scores and ranking decisions. Also, looking at my list now, I feel like I could change a few scores and ranking positions for some of the films, but in the end it is just a little fun, and nothing too serious. You will also find some old classics, which were remastered and shown at the Astor.

What surprised me was that I actually thought I saw more movies during the year than what I did see and that the bulk of the films I saw where during the two week period of the Melbourne International Film Festival. I saw double the amount of movies at MIFF than what I saw in 2011. Also, I saw some National Theatre Live productions at Cinema Nova in Carlton. Which I decided not to include in the list seeing that even though I saw them at the cinema they are more theatre productions and I enjoy them in a different way than I would a movie.

The amounts of movies I watched in the second half of the year dropped due to A-League and Melbourne Heart, but I still got to see some good movies in between the soccer, like Lawless and Argo. You can catch my soccer blog at www.thebigheart.co.

After saying all of that, here is my movies for 2012 and National Theatre Love list. Both list shows the score and the month which I saw the film in:

My Movies for 2012 (Well, all the movies I saw in 2012):
1: The Dark Knight Rises: 4.5/5. July. (I felt like this completed the trilogy, and I think the director is fantastic.)
2: Headhunters: 4.5/5. March. (What a movie, I highly recommend this to everyone before Hollywood wrecks it.)
3: God Bless America: 4.5/5. August. (My first Bobcat movie production. I now see him in a new light, and have to admit I had him typecast in Police Academy. This is violent but it speaks out about the state of America, a must see movie.)
4: Raiders of the Lost Ark: 4.5/5. June. (Re-Mastered and shown at the Astor)
5: Beast of the Southern Wild: 4/5. August. (This and Batman where the only movies I saw twice in the Cinema during the year)
6: Looper: 4/5. November. (It reminded me of 12 Monkeys. I really enjoyed it, and look forward to watching again.)
7: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: 4/5. January.
8: Lawrence of Arabia: 4/5. August. (Re-Mastered and shown at the Astor)
9: The Cabin in The Woods: 4/5. July. (This is one of the movies I think I rated harshly, and think maybe I could have put it in my top 5.)
10: The Imposter: 4/5. August.
11: Undefeated: 4/5. August.
12: Argo: 4/5. December.
13: Martha Marcy May Marlene: 4/5. February.
14: The Avengers: 4/5. May.
15: Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai. 4/5. August.
16: Chronicle: 4/5. February.
17: Lawless: 4/5. December.
18: The Artist: 4/5. February.
19: The Ambassador: 4/5. August.
20: Fight for your right Revisited: 4/5. August.
-----------------
21: Holy Motors: 4/5. August. (After rethinking about this movie, if I could restore it I think it might be a 3/5, I would have to re watch it again.)
22: Liberal Arts: 3.5/5. August.
23: Ace Attorney: 3.5/5. August.
24: Save your Legs: 3.5/5. August.
25: Safety not Guaranteed: 3.5/5. August.
26: We are Legion: The story of the Hacktivist: 3.5/5. August.
27: Killer Joe: 3.5/5. August.
28: Into the Abyss (movie): 3.5/5 and also Into the Abyss (TV episode): 3.5/5. August.
29: Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: 3.5/5. April.
30: The Hunter Games: 3.5/5. April.
31: The Muppets Movie: 3.5/5. January.
32: Interrupters: 3.5/5. January.
33: You Will Be My Son, 3.5/5. November.
34: Eames: The Architect and The Painter: 3.5/5. June.
35: Descendants: 3.5/5. March.
36: Mission Impossible 4: 3.5/5. January.
37: When a City Falls: 3.5/5. August.
38: Rampart: 3.5/5. August.
39: The Legend of Kasper Hauser: 3.5/5. August.
40: Robot and Frank: 3/5. August.
41: Nameless Gangster: Rules of the time: 4/5. August.
42: On the Road: 3/5. August.
43: Beastie Boys in Awesome I fuckn shot that: 3/5. August.
44: Something for nothing: The Art of Rap: 3/5. August.
45: Mine Games: 3/5. August. (Another movie I think I rated to high. I wished this was better than it was, it had potential.)
46: Any Questions For Ben: 3/5. February.
47: Make Hummus not war: 3/5. August.
48: Just The Wind: 3.5/5. August.
49: Step up to the plate: 2.5/5. August.
50: J Edgar: 2.5/5. January.
51: A Dangerous Method: 2.5/5. March.
52: L: 2/5. August.
53: Tomorrow: 2/5. August.
54: The Red and the Black: 2/5. August.
55: Crime and Punishment: 1.5/5. August.

And my National Theatre Live productions of 2012:
1: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. NTL. 4/5. September. (Easily in my overall top 15 for 2012. I really enjoyed this play.)
2: The Comedy of Errors, NTL 3.5/5. March.
3: Travelling Light. NTL 3.5/5. February

No comments:

Post a Comment