Sunday 1 July 2012

Monthly movies for June, by Ash

Only the two movies for the month of June, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Eames: The Architect and The Painter. Seeing that it is a digitally remastered movie only showing at the Astor, and that it is a movie which most of us have already seen, I decided to post my blog early for that movie, the blog called "Raiders of the Lost Ark at the Astor Theatre". I would highly recommend to see the movie at the Astor, the last time I saw it on the big screen was when I was little, and being digitally remastered, it is a great movie to see again on the big screen.

Eames: The Architect and The Painter: This was a really interesting documentary, one which I would have never have gone to see if it wasn't for my wife, who keeps my mind open to different things. It was interesting on a few different levels, the Eames themselves, and then their Company. They were very open minded and creative people, wanting to create in many different forms, the first being the new style of chairs. These chairs are now classics, and a lot of companies replicate them today, but back then they were the main stream of income in the early years. From designing these chairs, they were able to go onto bigger but I cannot say better things, because people still love those chairs. They always thought outside the box, and looked like they were really willing to give anything a try. The only thing I found disappointing, yet this document gives a little light too, is the Eames employees. From this documentary it looks like the Eames themselves took a lot of credit and naming rights for things which their employees did. Now, I understand that it would have the Eames name to it and that they have ownership of the products, but I think they could have given designer credit, where credit is due. I really enjoyed this, 3.5/5. This is on at ACME, in Melbourne.

With the MIFF coming up on the 2nd of August, it will be two weeks of movies overload. Make sure you get the program on the 13th of July, in the Age newspaper, and study up, and pick your movies wisely. Also, don't forget to have a look at the Astor Theatre Calendar for July, for of course Indiana plus all the other great movies. Even new release movies, like Cabin in the Woods, where you can only see at the Astor Theatre and Cinema NOVA. I will be hoping to see this movie in July, so I might see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment