Sunday 12 August 2012

My MIFF2012 experience: On The Road

Summary: I have not been into the Beat culture, and have never read any of Jack Kerouac's works, Lauren on the other hand is very into this field, and has if not all most of the books from Jack and Co., so I was going into this movie being very naive. It was interesting seeing a movie about something Lauren has always been into and to get an understanding of the things she loves.
I felt like the movie did go slightly too long for what it was, but then I have not read the book, and I am just looking at it from a movie viewpoint. I did do a quick wiki on this movie, and if what it says is true then apparently Jack Kerouac wanting to play Sal and he was trying to get Marlon Brando to play Dean. Also, Kerouac wanted to shoot the filming of the road scenes from the front seat of the car following the twist and turns of the road, while Sal and Dean would be chatting. I think Brando would have suited playing Dean perfectly, and I think with Kerouac, it probably would have been a classic, real beat type style movie.

Pros: Good cast of actors, enjoyed the story

Cons: slightly long

Links: MIFF On The Road, Wiki On The Road.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment